Making the right decision for your business might seem hard, same applies to new and intending website owners who want to hire a good web design company.
Web development and website design are not same: yes a website developer and a website designer are two different skills and activities;
Web development is the process of creating a website that does various things. These Websites have various designations some require a login, others provide e-commerce services such as a shopping online or online payments, etc. Whatever it is you want to have or service you want to provide on the internet can be created by a professional web developer.
Web design is the art of designing an already created website or web page layout for the best user experience and often times designing a website can involve using a graphics program like Adobe Photoshop, Corel Draw and the list goes on to provides the best outlook for the website.
With this spelt out we can continue, though some people use the words interchangeably they are not same. Except one has both skills one cannot be a web developer and web designer as well.
Since defining web development and web design, it will be good to also define a web builder, a web builder can refer to tools that are used in setting up or constructing websites with zero knowledge in coding e.g. wix, Go daddy, word press etc.
If this is making sense, let’s move on!!!
How to choose a good web design company
- Digital Marketing Department: The Company may look great but it isn’t moving if there is no digital marketing unit. A catchy website is just one of the many requirements you need to succeed in business. You need a system that works. A web design company that has a digital marketing department can take you places.
- CMS Minded: A content management system should be a must-do on your to-do list for your website. Web design agencies who know their onions are always familiar with some of the best content management systems e.g. Drupal, Magento, WordPress.
- They Have Response-Enabled Designs: Responsive design is the holy grail of web design. It’s the way to go in designing websites presently. It helps your website look good on any device whilst giving your user the best experience while there are some cases where a separate mobile site might have some advantages, responsive design is generally the preferred solution. As mobile and tablet usage continues to grow, you need to be sure your business is optimized for every device. The right designer will get you there.
- They Have Testimonials from clients: The easiest way to find out if a web design outfit is capable is by the testimonies from other clients. They should have a portfolio of sites they have worked on so you can check, not just the home pages but every other part visible (…you need to check those websites to see if they are truly functional)
- Longevity: Every day new companies crop out from every direction and flinging their names and brands around, but you would want to work with brands that have been tested and trusted, brands that have weathered the storms of new ideas and rise and fall of businesses and losses and cutbacks and particularly have become a brand that satisfies the craving of the customers. If you are going for anew company, let it be one that understands the market trends and will be dependable.
- Experience in Varying Industries: You might think it would be great if your web design company only worked with one industry. After all, if they only work on websites for bakeries, then they must really know pastries, right? Perhaps, but it also means you’re probably going to end up with a cookie-cutter website that’s indistinguishable from the other ninety-five bakery websites they did this year. A web design company that works with a wide variety of industries is more likely to create a unique website that will reach a bigger audience. Your website has to stand above the competition, not be identical.
- Actively informed on Modern Design Trends: A web designer has to keep up with the latest trends in technology. Customers are more likely to work with you if you have modern designs on your site and you would not trade your website looking good by hiring some outdated web design providers. The best design companies always have what’s hot and trending in in their websites. A web designer needs to be familiar with parallax scrolling, flat design, responsive, and dozens of other styles and elements. Of course, that doesn’t mean they should just push all the newest fads. There needs to be a balance between what’s modern and what’s proven. A website needs to be more than just fresh and also on the stable part, in other words, they don’t have to paste all the latest design trends but get the best for their customers.
- Check how good looking and effective the company’s owned site is: charity they say begins at home, they can’t make your site look good if their’s isn’t.
- Know if the price is affordable: you don’t want to be left stranded if you can’t pay after brainstorming and getting all the fine ideas and you find out, your money can’t pay for it (… I guess it hurts a load). To avoid unnecessary waste of time, try to find out if the website design company is relatively affordable.
- Hiring A Cheap Company: The last thing you can afford to do with your new website is to hand the very important duty of designing it, too cheap web designers all because you want to cut corners. If your website is one of the most vital parts of your business then you need not joke with it, it’s absolutely not the area for you to cut costs. Don’t bulge in spending to make your website look its best; it will yield a high (ROI) return on investment.
- Ease Of Access and use: you need to know if it is relatively easy to use the website designs. You could have a test run to find lapses that you cannot deal with, this will help inspire your decision. Every website needs to work pretty well on any device and still show all the layout looking good,
- Customization: Check if the company offers an opportunity for customization, it is easy for your user to find faults and criticize, and a DIY design for your site is more prone to criticism than a customized site which leaves people to think of you or your business as lacking talent and or finance to attain such standards.
- Good customer support plan: Customer satisfaction should be their watchword otherwise when you need them they won’t run along to answer and proffer solutions.
- They have an in-house specialist: you would want to know that things are in the right house, an in-house specialist should be in order.
- They give Listening Ears for Your ideas: You need to relay the message of what you want to this web designing company and you most certainly can’t do that without being listened to. As an expert in your field, you should be able to tell them what you want, what sells and what attracts, this will help to prevent them from using your website as their pet project instead of business.
Remember nobody knows your ideas and business better than you, so what better person to interpret that than you
- They Have Ideas to Share Too: Noted that it’s important for your web designer to listen to you, but they also need to have ideas of their own to share with you, so when it’s needed they can also contribute to your ideas and object things that won’t work. For your website to be designed well enough to exact your money’s worth; the designer not only has to listen but to also bring forth exciting ideas, this goes a long way to show that they truly know their craft.
In as much as you know your business, you can’t know as much as to oust the knowledge of a web designer (why did you search for one in the first place)
- Ability to create a user-friendly website: this includes layouts, functions, fast loading etc.
If you have a web design company that has at least 70% of the items on this checklist covered then you are good hands.